Navigation auf


UZH for Students

Semester Enrollment

I would like to move from a Bachelor’s to a Master’s program (or from a Master’s program to doctoral studies, or to the teaching diploma program after having completed a Master’s degree). What do I need to do?

You have to change your degree program, and you have to register for graduation with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree with the faculty.

Please note the information on changing the degree program on the corresponding website. Information on registration for graduation can be found on the websites of the respective faculty.

I will be completing my studies at the end of the semester. Should I keep the enrollment that was prepared automatically for the next semester in case I do not pass the examinations?

Yes. You can keep your enrollment pending for the time being. After you have received the results of your examinations and have successfully completed your studies, please request withdrawal from the university. Please note the deadlines. The enrollment and the invoice for semester fees will then be canceled by the University of Zurich’s Student Administration Office.

If you do not pass your examinations, please immediately pay the semester invoice in order to remain enrolled.

I have been excluded from my major or minor study program. The enrollment is now showing up as an error in the student portal even though I’ve paid the semester fees.

Active subject bans prevent semester enrollment. For this reason, you must complete a change of study programs  for the relevant study program prior to the deadline if you want to remain enrolled at the University of Zurich. Otherwise, the University of Zurich will withdraw you from the university at the end of the semester and refund your semester fees (less a processing fee).

I have submitted my doctoral thesis and registered to defend it. Do I need to enroll again?

Yes. You must remain enrolled, but you can request a leave of absence during the publication phase of your doctoral thesis. Please see the information on the website Leave of Absence under "Leave During the Publication Phase of the Doctoral Thesis."

In your final semester, when your doctoral degree is issued by the University of Zurich’s Student Services, you must once again be enrolled as a regular student and may not be on leave.

Weiterführende Informationen

Further Questions?

Information about semester enrollment can also be found at:


Is your question still not answered?
Please contact the Student Administration Office of the University of Zurich.